You know the old adage, “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have”? No? Well, learn it well.
Also at the same time, don’t do this.
Jokes apart. Lets see how should one dress up properly for interview.
The appropriate interview attire depends on the industry in which you’ll be interviewing as well as the geographical location and time of year. Over the time dressing code has been changed from formals to casuals as more and more companies are shifting from formal attires ( trousers, leather shoes and tie) to casual (jean and t-shirt). Spend some time researching the company. What is the work culture there etc and dress appropriately.
Ask you seniors or placement officers about their past experience.
If you are still unsure what to wear, feel free to drop a mail to HR of the company. If still in doubt, better be little overdressed rather than being a little casual.
Make sure your clothes are properly ironed and wrinkle free. Use a light deodorant. Make sure not to use very strong perfume. Do not wear too much jewelry or make up.
Do’s and don’ts of dressing for interview:
- Clothes should be according to the weather. Do not wear jackets in summers.
- Dress should be washed, cleaned and properly ironed.
- Do not wear too tight or too loose clothes.
- Avoid loud colors or flashy ties.
- Make sure your hairs are trimmed and beard is properly groomed.
- Fresh breath. Do not smoke before going for interview. If you must release the tension, use mouth-freshener and deodorant afterwards.
- Shoes are the most important thing. Belt and shoe color should match. Socks should be of matching color too.
- Shoes should be polished and should not make loud sound while walking. Good shoes are key to confidence. I strongly recommend to invest in a pair of shoes.
- Do not close tie button if not wearing a tie. Also do not open too many buttons.
- Unroll sleeves and button them.
- Do not forget to carry a handkerchief.As old saying goes: ‘perception is reality’. Think about the image you want to project during you interview and then choose an outfit that will create a positive perception.
That’s all from our side. Feel free to suggest anything. Comment in case of any doubt.
Good shoes are the key to great confidence. Wear formal shoes for the interview which are comfortable and does not make loud sound while walking.