Why this question is asked?
If you are facing this question that means you have cleared preliminary rounds. Selection team knows that you are potential candidate. They know that you have skills required for this job. But now you have to prove it by giving examples how you fit for the job and how you have all the skills required for this job.
What is there in it for you?
This question is a great opportunity to sell yourself. This is your chance to convince your interviewer why he/she should hire you. This is the time when ball is in your court. Brag about your skills, accomplishments and achievements. You need to correlate your skills with job requirements. Explain with the help of examples from past so that you can outshine your peers.
Things to be included in the answer?
- What can you do for company: Most of the people answer this question by stating their experience and skills. This is ok but not good. Employer wants to know how can you improve the company. What ideas do you have to make life better for interviewer. So always talk about benefits (what you can improve) before features (your skills).
- Required skills and experience: Read the job description carefully. Most of the job description clearly mention the technical skills required, experience and the job profile. Now show that you have required skills to do the job. Use past experience as proof for you claim. If you do not have any prior experience then use your final year project experience or your internship experience. Convince them that you are qualified to deliver exceptional results.
- Why you fit for the job: Employers are extremely happy to know that you have taken the time to understand their product, team and company. Learn about the company culture from current employees or your seniors or from the Internet. Use this knowledge to relate yourself with the company at personal level. How you are gonna fit into the team.
- Person who get things done: Tell them you are the person who get things done no matter how tough the job is or how many obstacles are there in path. Give some example from past how you completed a project in spite of multiple challenges.
For each of the above point, memorize some anecdotes to support your claim. Be concise with your stories. Use words ‘passion’, ‘love’, ‘excited’ frequently in your answer. But remember not to overdo it.
Here is a story to help you. This happened during the Flipkart placement interview at IIT Madras 2014.
So after various questions, the interviewer tries to close the interview with this-
interviewer: Why should we hire you?
candidate: Sir, you see this shirt? It’s size 41. I ordered it on Flipkart. I wear 39. Returned it twice, got the same shirt back. So either change your system, or take me to change it! Because clearly it’s not working.
- Be Confident. Maintain eye contact. Sit up straight.
- Look charming. Wear your best dress. Prepare dress one night before.
- Smile. Don’t cross your arms.
- Stand when interviewer enters the room. Give respect.
- Shake hands, firmly, quickly. Don’t avoid eye contact.
- Do you research. What company does, What are their main products, what is the culture in company, what problem is company facing?
- Never lie. Do not say bullshit. Don’t mention anything personal until asked. Interviewers don’t care.
- Speak clearly and state your positive quality.
Example answer for an experienced programmer:
“Honestly, I almost feel like the job description was written with me in mind. I have the 6 years of programming experience you’re looking for, a track record of successful projects, and proven expertise in agile development processes.
At the same time, I have developed my communication skills from working directly with senior managers, which means I am well prepared to work on high-profile, cross-department projects. I have the experience to start contributing from day one and I am truly excited about the prospect of getting started.”
You can tailor the answer according to you. If you do not have any prior experience, use your final year project and internship learning.
Don’t do this –